1/2 C raw pumpkin seeds
1 1/4 C blanched almond flour or raw sunflower seeds
1/2 C coconut flour
1/2 C tapioca flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 C pumpkin puree
1/4 C softened coconut oil
1/4 C honey
1/2 C pumpkin or apple butter
- In a high speed blender or coffee grinder, grind pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds on high until they are a fine powder. We measure the seeds, not the resulting flour!
- In a large mixing bowl sift together the almond flour, if using, coconut flour, tapioca flour, the ground seeds, spices, baking soda and salt. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the pumpkin puree, honey, oil and the eggs until incorporated.
- Pour in the dry ingredients slowly while mixing. Continue to mix until a thick dough forms.
- Divide the dough in half and flatten. Chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, for at least twenty minutes.
- Remove one dough disk and roll out on a tapioca floured surface. Cookies should be about 1/4” thick.
- Using pumpkin shaped cookie cutters, cut out cookies and remove to a lined or greased cookie sheet. If the dough becomes warm, it will be difficult to work with and become sticky. If this happens, return it to the fridge to cool.
- Spoon on about 1/2 TBSP of pumpkin or apple butter on top of the cookies. Spread out, leaving 1/8” edge all the way around.
- Remove the second disk and roll it out as well to the same thickness. Cut out more pumpkins.
- With a knife, cut out fun faces on this second pumpkin, then place on top of the first cookies.
- Lightly press the edges together to seal the cookies
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes until cookies just begin to brown. Cook time will vary depending on the thickness and size of your cookies.
- Store at room temperature only for a day or two, otherwise keep chilled and bring to room temp before serving.